Will and I met during an interview for the Masters of Entrepreneurship Degree at the University of Otago. We were energetic 22 year olds and we immediately connected over our similar worldly ambitions and mindsets. Fast forward I like to think these days we both have even more energy and a bit more knowledge for how to use it! We have become great friends and are avid supporters of each others projects plus personal and professional developments. We speak most days via Skype chat about how we can push our lives forward via mindset, goal orientated focus and via the celebration of success. I have no doubt in my mind that we will start something together some day soon - watch this space! Will and his wife Anisa travel the world whilst running their businesses and are soon heading to New York to set up camp for a while. I plan to briefly join them during the Mirrorman World Tour in September! Recently I was able join them whilst working remotely in Cambodia and I am still dreaming about the crazy ideas we created over cheap cocktails and NYE water and powder fights in the streets...
- Logan Elliott, Lifetime Creative
1) WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DO YOU DO?
Who am I? I'm a husband, deal maker, hustler, adventurer, explorer, optimist and value adder. I currently help local businesses in NZ to bring in more customers over at leadexplosion.co.nz.
The two main themes of my background have been entrepreneurship and never living in one place too long. This started when I was 18, and spent in a year in Vanuatu teaching English. I started my first business in Vanuatu, growing and selling Kava. It failed when our whole crop of around 2 hectares got wiped out by drought.
Since then, I have lived in Shanghai, Hungary, Qatar, Scotland, Thailand, Cambodia and spent a good chunk of time around NZ. I have also traveled to a bunch of other countries. Can't seem to sit still.
My wife and I are moving to New York in a month for a new adventure, she is attending NYU and I am looking to take Lead Explosion to the US market.
2) WHAT ARE YOU PASSIONATE ABOUT AND WHY?
1. Helping others find success. I am part of a couple of master mind groups which I enjoy. And every day I get to work with local business owners to help them grow their businesses through Lead Explosion which I find very rewarding.
2. Making money and building businesses. I'm not going to lie - I love making money. To me business is a game, it should always be fun and we should never take ourselves too seriously. Money is the measuring stick by which we measure how well we are playing. Plus, it pays for Disney land trips :)
3. Adventure. I'm always up for something new.
4. My relationship with my wife.
3) WHAT ARE THE BIGGEST BARRIERS TO ENTREPRENEURSHIP?
The emotion of fear and our own assumptions about how things are, how things should be and what we can and can't do.
I think there are a lot of false assumptions out there about the concept of risk and the downsides of starting a business. In 2015 you don't need to take a risk to start a business. You can do it on the side of your full time job with just a $100 capital investment.
From what I have seen and experienced myself, the biggest fears are usually of uncertainty and of what other people will think if you fail.
4) WHAT ARE THE MOST EXCITING THINGS ABOUT STARTING A BUSINESS?
The single most exciting thing for me is the freedom of choice. You can provide value in any way you want, impact as many people as you want, live your life how you want and make as much money as you want. It is all just a choice, as long as you are willing to do things that are uncomfortable to you.
5) WHAT DO YOU ASPIRE TO BE DOING IN FIVE YEARS?
Still married and having lots of fun. Nothing else really matters that much.
6) ONE BOOK AND ONE PODCAST ABOUT ENTREPRENEURSHIP?
7) ONE TOOL?
For B2B, I have found a LinkedIn premium account very useful for prospecting and making sales.
If you are a B2C businesses - you will probably find Leadpages very useful for building your email list and making sales.